About a week ago we moved from Colorado to Utah. Before we left Colorado we had my friend's little girls and niece come over and I made them each a baby doll sling. I just used some old fabric I had and used this tutorial (http://www.domesticdork.com/2010/04/diy-baby-doll-sling-tutorial.html) as a rough guideline, but changed some things.
The fabric I had was pretty light weight and instead of cutting it the size I wanted and then hemming the sides, I just doubled the fabric and sewed down one side. I made my slings wider then what the tutorial showed. I made the width of the sling 24 inches wide total, doubled it was 12 inches wide) I then turned the fabric inside out and lined the seam up so it was in the middle of the sling and ironed the edges flat.
If that doesn't make sense I got a picture. I highlighted where the seam is with yellow lines, it is in between.
I then followed the rest of the tutorial by rounding the edges I went over each rounded edge twice with a zig-zag stitch. Hopefully that will help it from fraying too much.
Here is the finished sling with my friend's girls wearing their new slings, I forgot to get a picture of my niece with hers on. :(
Since I have 2 boys we didn't have any baby dolls to have them try out the slings so my old care bear and cookie monster had to do. :)
Since the slings were the same fabric I sewed their names into the sling with my sewing machine. I blurred out the name for safe measure. 
I loved the tutorial that I used as a guideline because it was somewhere to start and her way to measure the sling was great. If you want an easy and quick sewing project I recommend trying a baby doll sling.


Love it! I am NOT a sewer but I do have a machine I borrowed from my mom. Maybe I will have to have you come over some day and let then kids play while you 'help' teach me how to make one. Isabel would love it!
ReplyDelete