Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Flash Back Friday - Etched Glass

When I was going through some of my vinyl scraps the other day I found an old project I had done years ago.
I worked with the teenage girls for many years in our church and they have a night called," Young Women in Excellence." It is a night to reflect on what the girls had done that year and they put on a program for their parents. The theme was " Let your light so shine," So I etched the Young Women's Torch (A symbol for our girls youth group at our church). We then put a battery operated tea light in the candle holder for favors for the girls to take home.
Here is how I made them:
1) Get a votive candle holder.
2) I cut this image out on my vinyl machine, but if you don't have a vinyl machine you can get contact paper and trace the outline of what you want to etch. Then cut the design out with an exacto knife.
3) Apply the vinyl to the Votive candle holder.
4) Follow the direction on the etching creme bottle. Make sure you cover the image with a layer of etching creme. Don't go over the edge of the vinyl. If you do it will etch your glass where you don't want it to. (Yes, I speak from experience. :))
This is the etching cream I used.
Wait 5 minutes then remove the vinyl. (5) Wash off the etching cream.
6) Then you have your etched votive candle holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment