Since both of my mom's parents have passed away, her and her siblings decided it was time to sell my grandparents house. I was lucky enough to get two great mirrors. This first mirror hung by my grandparents' master bedroom closet, ever since my mom was a little girl. I had been wanting to get a big mirror for our living room and my aunt offered this mirror to us. It was perfect except for the fact that our house has all brushed nickle fixtures, stainless steel appliances and most of the furniture in our family room is black. I hung the mirror up anyway, even though it was gold. As I started decorating the house more the mirror just didn't really fit anymore. So I decided I would paint it. I got some Rust-Oleum Spray paint at Home Depot. It was silver/gray with a textured look. I think the name was hammered nails, I threw the paint away before getting the name.
Here is the mirror taped and ready to be painted.
Here is the mirror taped and ready to be painted.
A close up what the mirror looked like before. I love the detailed carved wood frame around the mirror.
After the mirror was painted and dried we hung it back up. The spray paint was neat because when you got close you could see the texture to the paint, but once you stepped away from the mirror it had a roly poly bug, gray color and didn't have much depth to it. We let it sit for a few days and decided that we needed to add more. My mom suggested we sponge some paint on top of the spray paint. I got some gray and white paint and we mixed it only a few times so we would have the textured look we wanted. My mom and I then sponged on the paint on. Right away I could tell that was exactly what was missing.
The finished mirror.
This mirror was at my grandparents house the day before my aunt moved out. There was a plaster type frame around it that was chipping and breaking At tried sanding down the rough spots at first, but that was only making things worse. I decided to go ahead and paint it, cracks and all and see how it turned out.
The before picture, taped and ready to be painted.
The before picture, taped and ready to be painted.
It worked well to paint it as it was. Here is the finished picture. Sorry the lighting is bad. It is hard to tell, but I finished it the same way I did the other mirror and hung it in our kitchen.
I am so excited to have these two mirrors. Not only do they look great, but they are from my grandparents and have meaning behind them.
No comments:
Post a Comment