Friday, December 17, 2010

Chip Can Snowmen

My sister made these years ago. I think the idea came from a magazine, but I don't remember which one. Since I didn't know where to find the tutorial I decided to make one.
For the snowman body I used the 5 1/2 oz. Lay's Stax chips. You can use Pringles, but make sure you adjust the measurements to fit the can.
First Cut a piece of white card stock 6 in. x 11in. Then glue the card stock onto the can of chips. I found that hot glue worked the best. I started with a strip of hot glue down the middle of the card stock, when you attach the card stock try and line the paper with the label that way is will be straight when you wrap the rest of the card stock.
Then wrap one side of the paper and glue down the inside edge to attach, repeat for the the other side. The card stock will overlap a little.
Next cut out the fabric you want to use for the hat and the scarf. For the hat you will need a rectangle that is 6in. x 11 in. For the scarf cut a fabric strip that is 1 1/2 in. x 16 1/4 in.

After you cut out the fabric you will need to sew 2 seams for the hat. Seam #1 is along the shorter edge and seam #2 is on one of the longer edges. See the picture below. (If you don't want to sew you can glue the seams) The seam should be between 1/4 to 1/2 in.


Now it is time to attach the hat to the can of chips. Find the card stock seam on the can of chips and start attaching the non-seam edge of fabric there. I just used hot glue along the long seam to attach the fabric for the hat. When attaching the hat make sure you overlap the card stock enough so the blue from the can is covered.
After attaching the hat to the can add a dot at the top of the can.
Next gather the extra fabric at the top of the hat and secure it with yarn or ribbon. I used a 9 inch piece of yarn and will use the extra yarn to attach a tag.

Last add the face. I found it easier to attach the eyes, then the nose then the scarf. For the eyes I used googly eyes and the nose I cut a triangle from orange felt that was about an inch long.
Then you are done. :)
I made a bunch of these for our neighbors. The things I like about these is that if they already have a lot of treats they can wait to open the chips after the Holidays. Plus they are very cute!

1 comment: