Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Pin Cushion

For Christmas my mother-in-law wanted a pin cushion. She wanted a pin cushion where the pins were easy to put in and pull out of the cushion. I looked everywhere to see where I could buy one, but all I could find was the Tomato you can buy, but they were too hard to put the pins in. I started to realize that I might have to make one. One of the biggest problems in making my own was I wasn't sure what to fill it with...rice? batting? In my search I ended up at the Sew N' Save in Layton and found the best thing to use, crushed walnut shells. They sold it there and it was $1.29 for 2 cups! The thing I liked the most about the crushed walnut shells is it sharpens your pins when you stick it in and pull them out.
I searched patterns and found the cutest ones, but in the end decided it was best to go for practical over cute. This is the tutorial I used. http://paperstringcloth.blogspot.com/2007/07/pincushion-tutorial.html
The only thing I changed is I cut 3 inch squares and used a 1/2 inch seam. I was worried with how fine the walnut shells are and didn't want it to leak out.
Here is the finished pin cushion:
Here is the reversible side. Next time I think I would put a button on each side.

1 comment:

  1. The walnut shells sound very interesting. I have a pin cushion on my ever growing list of things to make. I should be as good as you and actually accomplish some of them :)

    ReplyDelete