Saturday, September 11, 2010

An Elmo Hat

I saw a cute pattern for an Elmo hat awhile ago and now that it is getting closer to fall, I figured I would crochet it before it gets too cold. The pattern I found was from a blog called Girl in Air. Here is the tutorial: http://girlinair.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-crochet-sesame-street-hats.html She did a great job and the instructions were easy to follow.
I followed the pattern for the hat, but when it came time to do the Elmo face I didn't have any white or orange yarn on hand, but I did have white, orange and black felt.
I figured I would show you what I did to make Elmo's face.
I took a quarter and traced it on the black felt for the eyes. I only traced one circle then I folded over the fabric and cut two circles at the same time. I then took our salt shaker and cut out two circles of white for the eyes, and one circle of orange for the nose.

Here is a picture of how I folded over the felt to cut both circles out at the same time. Below that is a picture of the 5 circles needed to make Elmo's Eyes and nose.

I then hot glued the black circles onto the white circles. Then put the hat on my 4 year old to see where I needed to attach the eyes and nose. I marked where they needed to go and then hot glued the eyes and nose straight to the hat. I would recommend stitching them onto the hat, unless you are lazy like me, the hot glue seems to be working so far.
Here is the completed hat.
I couldn't decide if Elmo needed a mouth or not, so I cut one out with black felt and attached it with hot glue too. Here is the hat with an added mouth.
Originally this hat was going to be for my 2 year old, but he was taking a nap when I finished the hat. Now our 4 year old decided he wants the hat. Maybe I will have to make 2 hats. :)

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I need to learn how to crochet/knit so I can make cute things too.

    ReplyDelete