Saturday, September 25, 2010

Homemade Hash Browns

First bake your potatoes. (I cooked mine at 375 degrees for an hour.) After they baked I let them cool off. Then I put them in the refrigerator to make sure they were cooled throughout. Once they were cooled I peeled the potato skins by hand.
Next I took my Kitchen-aid grater and grated all of the potatoes.
I then weighed the potatoes into 2 pound increments (I picked 2 pounds since that is what my funeral potato recipe calls for). Then I put the measured out potatoes in freezer bags so I can freeze them.
The potatoes got more mashed then I had hoped. My sister-in-law suggested that I should try and boil the potatoes next time so they don't get as mashed.If I did bake them next time I would probably shorten the cooking time so the potatoes wouldn't mash as easy. But they should work the way I did them, they just don't look like store bought frozen hash browns.
I ended up getting 3, 2 pound bags.
I can't wait to use the potatoes and see how they cook after being frozen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment