My friend Kristal came over yesterday and we made Tin Can Pumpkins. I didn't have a tutorial to follow when we made ours so I decided to make one.
First you need to wash the cans. ( I had just saved the cans we used from last week) Make sure the cans are completely dry before painting them. While the cans dried I cut out a strip of paper for the top of the can for the stem and then I cut a pumpkin face out of scraps of vinyl I had. If you don't have scraps of vinyl you can cut the face out of paper and mod podge the face onto the can.
Then you paint the cans orange. When painting the cans we found you can only do one coat. When we went to put the 2nd coat it would peel the 1st coat off and made it look worse. So when you do your first coat make sure it is good and thick.
Once the paint is dry mod podge the green strip of paper around the top of the can.
As my 2 year-old played with the painted cans I noticed the paint scratched off easily so I sealed the cans with clear spray paint.
Here are my finished pumpkins. Two of the pumpkins are old formula cans that I had gotten from my sister.
Since I was giving my pumpkins away I wrapped some candy in green tissue paper and put some in each can. Next time I think I would skip the green tissue paper, it made the pumpkins look kind of like carrots. lol Maybe that could make a good Easter craft.
This was a very cheap and easy project to make. Also a good craft to reuse your old cans. I was happy with how they looked...well I mean I liked them more without the tissue paper. :)



Maybe you could have used brown tissue paper, so it looked like a stem?
ReplyDelete